Thursday, January 15, 2009

Profound Power of Poverty


I will take this time this to look back and reflect on the mission trip that we just got back from. The most noted feeling that i had during the entire trip was one of warmth and acceptance. Everywhere we went we treated as royalty. Everyone we met welcomed us with open arms. Where this love and warmth was most prevalent was during meals. We ate tons. Example: Sit down for a lunch of rice and chicken (one that was alive the day before in the backyard). I was asked if i was hungry. I responded politely that i would like a little bit more. I was given another full plate of the chicken and rice. Actually i think the second plate was bigger, as if she was daring me to finish it. I, being in a very hungry state, did. I was then again asked if i would like more. Having learned my mistake i politely declined. The abuela (grandmother), simply muttered something about me being flacito (skinny kid) and brought me a whole bowl of cazuela. This is a typical chilean dish, it is a soup with rice and vegetables, and thrown in this soup is a chicken leg, a baked potato, and a large chunk of corn on the cob. Needless to say that i was stuffed. It was interesting to see how food is love, and that they are willing and able to live on so much less.
Everyone grows their own gardens, this is also what feeds most of the people. Most live a self sustaining lifestyle. Many of the families also make bowls and dishes out of clay that comes from where they live. This is sold at fairs to raise money for the rest of the things they need in life.

It is amazing to see how the families are so welcoming. You are treated not as guests but as long lost family that has finally arrived for an overdue visit. It was amazing being able to work with the children of the area, but also to see the growth from the kids that came from our school. You are forced into becoming a family and i was able to (hopefully, barring the language barrier) get at least some points across to the kids.

The time out in the countryside makes you appreciate what you have and to realize that there are many things much more important that money. I currently feel revitalized in my soul, after having caught with the family (who came down for a wonderful little trip) and then jumping immediately into missions. Alas, my body doesn't feel the same way and i have been battling a cold for the last couple of days, but i am getting better. I hope this message finds you well, refreshed from the holiday season.

No comments: