Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thundershowers

Today has been slightly a dreary day with a lot of thundershowers.  It is very humid and i seem to be sweating profusely.  The food it very good, and it helps that we have unlimited access to an ice cream maker in the machine.
I have had the opportunity to meet a ton of individuals here at Notre Dame.  Today we just had lunch with the Vice-President of Notre Dame and met the President.  It is amazing how educated the entire Holy Cross Society is.  I have met more people that speak at least three languages in the last three days then i have in my entire.  
So far we have been going through a lot of basic orientation stuff.  Questions about my reasons for going, along with my past history and also just basic personal questions.  I was informed by one of the priests about the history of the Holy Cross, also about the role that Holy Cross has played in Chile.  They have a vibrant history with the construction of St. George's a school that has a lot of political pull in Chile.  Most of the priests i have encountered have many political connections with the government.  For example Fr. Jim is going back to preside over a wedding in Chile in which President Michelle and most of the government will be attending.
So there are a bunch of people we still have to meet and some more hoops to jump through but it is pretty exciting.

4 comments:

Rene said...

Hi John:
Sounds like things are going well.
Off to New York tomorrow right?
We are praying for you.

Samual Pogue said...

hey buddy, this sounds like a pretty great experience. When do you actually get to Chile?

I am hoping to do another south america tour in the next year or so, so I am trying to save up cash, would it be cool if I came to see you?

JP said...

To answer some questions. I don't actually leave for New York until Thursday morning at 8 am.
I get into Chile the 27th of July. and i don't know yet if i am able to have people to come i have to figure that out with my Superior in Chile Father Delaney.

Unknown said...

Hi John,
I am so impressed with this blog and what you are doing. My thoughts and prayers are with you
Aunt Charis