Monday, September 15, 2008

The Start of Fiestas Patrias


Sunday September 14, 2008
So we had the festivals at school on both Friday day and also Saturday night. Friday at school was a half-day in which we played a bunch of traditional Chilean games with the kids. I was in charge of Taca-Taca, which is Spanish for foosball. I don’t really know how this is a typical Chilean game, but whatever. My event finished very quickly so I ended up going and helping the elementary kids in a blowing up and popping balloon race. A lot of the kids were unable to tie the knot on the balloon so I just helped them out a bit. It was fun to see everyone enjoying all the festivities. The classes were all let out early because it was September 11th. It is weird here, because in Chile September 11th is the day that there are mass protests and manifestations to protest against the past and current treatment of the government. Across the whole country everyone was let out early to be able to get home safely, because there were a bunch of barricades and riots that took place. Most of the damage was done by pissed off adolescents who just wanted to go out and destroy things. (cars and stores seemed to be the primary target) It was funny because we received a warning from some of the students saying the tonight is a good night just to stay in doors. Yet, the kids on our street said that because we live in a “bad” neighborhood that we were actually safer, because all of the kids were going off to destroy things in the rich parts of town. I think a lot of the kids in the neighborhood were participating in these events, so they were not going to destroy the place where they lived. It is sad to think about this kind of unnecessary violence and the whole mob mentality. How would things be different if the kids new that they would be responsible for their actions?
Friday we were back at school for a morning of more games and festival competitions. The class that I have come to be closets to is 2nd Media A. Which is a sophomore class that we have gone on retreats with, I also teach them English and I am, in part, in charge of them in the morning for homeroom. This is the time between 8:30 and 8:45, which there is prayer and reflection time. The classes here are very close-knit because they all share the same classroom and course schedule beside the few electives or Tallers. They are all around good kids and it has been dun getting to know them. The kids set up a brunch like little festival in which they made hot dogs and played games in class. Again there were competitions between the different classes on who could dance and do the different traditional games. After this we went out with all the faculty at school to a luncheon, in which they served us a bunch of great grilled food and then some of the faculty danced the Cueca, which is the typical Chilean dance, with some of the performers at lunch. Brian was brave enough, or was pressured enough, to go and do they Cueca which was fun to see. He did pretty well, especially for being a Gringo. Then Oliver, one of the teachers that I am becoming the closest with, went up and did it too. Unbeknownst to most of the other teachers, Oliver used to be a Cueca performer when he was younger and he was phenomenal. This made me start to think about the hidden talents that people seem to have and how we need to remain open to everyone. It is when you pre-judge people is when you get surprised. In this case it was a pleasant surprise, but in many cases we miss out on the “good” things in life when you bring your preconceived notions to the table.
Then that night on Friday I went out to the Theatre with Oliver, Michelle, and Brian. I have to admit that the play was an absolute disaster. Firstly, It was in “campo” Spanish (our hick style Spanish) that meant I understood about a fifth of what they were saying. Secondly, it was a shock art piece, and I think most of you understand how I feel about shock art. For those of you who don’t, I believe that shock art is art done by the crybabies of this world. Instead of being talented enough to create something beautiful and meaningful, these hacks take the easy route and simply try to shock or disgust you into creating a point. Needless to say when the Devil came out for a dinner of a large man sized rat on the table, I had already given up hope. Call me closed minded but I believe that this stuff is just trash.
Saturday was the Fonda, or the big festival, at school. I got there at a little before one and helped set up the booth and the stage before having mass at 5. The all school mass was very interesting and an mélange between typical folkloric traditions and the Catholic tradition. I was a standard bearer in the Mass, and I was worried the entire time that I was going to crush one of the kids that were lining the aisle. The mass went well, but the church was packed and made the event a pretty sweaty endeavor. After the mass everyone proceeded to the school for the food and dancing part of the festival. I worked mostly in the Pastoral booth, which made shish kebabs and also sold spiced wine. It was fun getting all the systems down and apparently the booth pays for the mission trip that we have in the beginning of January. It was fun being at the festival and meeting a lot of the parents of the kids that I taught and also meeting the families of the people that I worked with. At the end of the day, the festival finished a little after midnight, I was rather spent having spent the whole day at school going about a mile a minute. Then on Sunday we spent the day at home, just laying low before we had Vespers and dinner with most of the members of the congregations for el Dia de Neustra Senors de Dolores (the day of our Lady of Sorrows). The dinner was nice and I seemed to have stuffed myself again. I saw in the news that the average Chilean gains between 2-4 kilos (4.5 to 9 pounds) during the festival. Having eaten as much as I have already and the festival is still 3 days away I am beginning to believe this. This afternoon has been lovely and we are going to stop by the Padre’s house to access the Internet and to post all of this. The weather here is getting warmer so I think I am going to be able to wear shorts today, but the nights are still fairly cold. The next two days I am going to try and work on my Spanish and get a fair amount of reading done. Then starting Wednesday we have a booked schedule for the rest of the week until School starts again next Monday. Well I hope all are well and enjoying the beginning of school, the end of summer, and just life in general. God bless you all and know that you are in my prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to follow your Chilean adventures. Happy belated birthday from the Bishops. Have you discovered any of your own hidden talents? Paul

Michelle Fitzgerald said...

"I believe that shock art is art done by the crybabies of this world."

I love it.

- Michelle